Monday, April 21, 2014

My Life with Narcolepsy

Its been a while since posting last. To say I've been knackered doesn't even begin to
cover it. During my hazy exhaustion I was contacted by an agency who wanted to write a piece on my life with narcolepsy, which ended up in the Daily Mail newspaper. Its by no means the article I would have liked to have seen printed, and some of the quotes weren't actually mine (those who know me will be able to guess which ones!); however every little helps, right?

I've already been contacted by a handful of people who have been struggling with the diagnosis prcoess, thanking me for another avenue to consider. All of which are certain that they've had the same OMG moment I had when I self diagnosed 13 years ago (after reading about a woman's experience in a magazine).


So here's my story. It's just one persons experience of the condition and as we know it affects people in different ways / severity. I hope that my story helps someone, somewhere.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2605838/My-narcolepsy-means-I-nap-FOUR-hours-day-Mother-says-shes-tired-fallen-asleep-ON-moped-loud-speakers.html







Ignorance
The comments that the article received on the newspapers website, were predictable and reflected the ignorance people with the condition endure daily. I was fat, lazy, depressed! It was disheartening that despite being presented with scientific fact, people STILL preferred to believe in ignorance. Ok, so I'm one out of the three, however in my defence I'd like to see anyone constantly walking around like they've not slept for 72 hours not put a few pounds on! My weight gain is very much a consequence of the condition.

The lazy label contantly bugs me (previously written about here - The Lazy Label).  A relatively new blogger has specifically addressed the ignorant comments my article recieved and boy did she do a good job. Go Sharon!! Her post can be found  here - Idiocy vs Actuality.

1 comment:

  1. This was exactly my life before medication therapy! I could still sleep anytime even medicated, but I have more of a choice now. Thank for your blog!

    ReplyDelete